Sunday, March 22, 2009

Macross Henkei-Type SDF-1

'mPhotobucket

Well, here we have another SDF-1! This is a surprise to me, as most SDF-1 toys are pretty expensive. I got this little bugger for only $20, and it was well worth it!

(for more information about the SDF-1, see my review of the Matchbox Robotech Miniature SDF-1)

Photobucket

This version of the Macross is pretty small, roughly the same height as my Chopper figure. That makes sense, since this figure was also released in Select's "Convertors" toy line as a Maladroid.

Photobucket

Notice the name "Nofka" branded on the card. There is another Convertors figure called Nofka, based on an Orguss figure.

Photobucket

I've got to say, I've got mixed feelings about this toy. It's made entirely out of plastic, and as you can see, the "reflex cannon" booms are hollow and look REALLY crappy from the back.

Photobucket

However, this is a minor setback as far as I'm concerned, and the figure makes up for it by having passable articulation, very similar to the large Matchbox SDF-1 figure that I have. BUT...unlike that figure, this one TRANSFORMS!

Photobucket

This is the Macross in its "cruiser" mode. Normally, the tips of the main cannon booms would spin around, but Takatoku was too cheap to accomodate this feature on the toy. However, the fact that this version is "variable" makes it a thousand times better than the larger version. The colorscheme, however, does not. Most of the silver you see on the figure was painted on by me, except for the top of the main torso & head (bridge) and the front of the legs. The detail on the Daedalus and Prometheus arms is in the form of foil stickers, which is nice, but doesn't blend well with the blue plastic of the arms themselves (which, incidentally, don't blend with the rest of the figure!)

Photobucket

Another thing about this figure you may find unappealing: To transform it, you have to remove the reflex cannon parts.

Photobucket

This is a cheap alternative to the $100-$500 SDF-1 toys out there. They seem to be a bit rare, but when they show up, they don't go for much. I wouldn't reccomend paying more than $20 for it, and some of you who own these probably think it isn't even worth that much. However, I'm happy to have a transforming SDF-1 figure that I didn't have to pay a kidney for. (considering my left kidney is gimped anyway -_-)

Rating: 3/5





4 comments:

  1. Don't suppose you'd be willing to post a picture of the instructions? I got what I think is the Convertors version of the SDF-1 on eBay, and I just wanted to be 100% sure I'm transforming it right. Like your 'custom' paint job on the SDF-1, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! This piece has a lot of nostalgia for me. Probably one of the first Macross toys I got in the 80s. The CONVERTORS were great little toys for those early otaku days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Sorry for the extraordinarily late reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the instructions, or box, or any other inserts. Although, I will say, it's a fairly straightforward transformation. I suppose you can't really be 100% sure you're doing it right if you don't have the instructions, though. Sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete